• American Chamber of Commerce in Korea
  • Your Partner in Business Since 1953
close
close

Login

home> >

AMCHAM Korea

American companies show strongest commitment to driving gender diversity in Korea, according to the…

American companies show strongest commitment to

driving gender diversity in Korea,

according to the results of recent AMCHAM survey on diversity & inclusion

dcb15138cc9471a37c5723027cb9e106_1619677 

April 29, 2021 - A study on diversity & inclusion practices conducted by the American Chamber of Commerce in Korea (AMCHAM) in partnership with Morgan Philips Korea, a member company of AMCHAM, showed that American companies show the strongest commitment to driving gender diversity as a critical business imperative. This is the first survey of its kind to explore how MNCs’ company-wide diversity & inclusion (D&I) initiatives are practiced, localized and perceived in Korea.

AMCHAM Chairman & CEO James Kim said, “The results of this survey were eye-opening about the state of D&I initiatives at global companies in Korea. Hopefully these results will provide our member companies with the data they need to enhance their diversity policies and implement global D&I programs locally.” He added, “We would like to thank all the members who shared their experiences and provided thoughtful insights on how AMCHAM can continue to promote D&I initiatives in the global business community.”

The results of the research are below. Additional information is available through the attached survey result report.

Prioritizing Gender Diversity

87% of respondents agreed that promoting gender diversity can lead to successful business outcomes. 89% of respondents who work for American companies reported that their companies have shown strong commitment to driving gender diversity as a critical business imperative, compared to 72% of European companies and 38% of Korean company respondents. American companies appear to be at the forefront of leading D&I initiatives, especially compared to Korean companies.

Communication and Localization

Results show a large discrepancy between respondents’ perception of their companies’ communication of D&I values at the global level and whether such efforts are actually localized and implemented in Korea. While 48% of respondents strongly agreed that global initiatives are well-communicated, only 19% answered they strongly agree that such initiatives are well-localized and implemented.

Perception of Progress & Fairness

69% of respondents agreed with the statement that gender equality has improved over the past five years. However, there is a perception gap between male and female respondents on the type of progress that has been made. 40% of men reported feeling that all employees get fair treatment in terms of career advancement, as opposed to 28% of women, and 79% of men reported feeling that all employees get fair treatment in terms of compensation, as opposed to 70% of women.

Barriers and Areas for Improvement

62% cited cultural and societal norms in Korea as the biggest barriers in breaking down the glass ceiling for women. Lack of flexible workplace practices, as well as existing female leadership, are also perceived as obstacles to bringing gender parity in Korea.

###

미국 기업의 성별 다양성에 대한 목표 의식, 국내 다국적 기업 가장 높아

주한미국상공회의소, 최근 다양성·포용성(D&I) 대한 설문 조사 실시

2021 4 29 - 주한미국상공회의소(암참; 회장 대표이사 제임스 ) 최근 회원사인 모건필립스코리아와 제휴하여 실시한 다양성·포용성(D&I) 대한 설문 조사에 따르면 국내 다국적 기업 미국 기업들이 상대적으로 성별 다양성을 기업의 핵심 가치로 추진하겠다는 의지를 강하게 드러내고 있는 것으로 나타났다. 이는 한국 다국적 기업의 전사적 다양성·포용성(D&I) 전략이 국내에서 어떻게 현지화되어 실현되고 또한 인지되어 오고 있는지를 살펴보기 위한 조사이다.

제임스  암참 회장  대표이사는, “설문조사를 통해 국내 글로벌 기업의 D&I 추진 현황을 확인할 있었던 것은 놀라운 경험이었다.”, “이번 설문이 회원사들의 다양성 정책 강화와 글로벌 D&I 프로그램의 현지화를 위한 방향 설정에 도움이 되길 바란다.” 소감을 밝히며, 글로벌 비즈니스 커뮤니티에서의 다양성·포용성(D&I) 가치를 제고하고 정착을 가속화할 방법에 대해 자신의 경험을 공유하고 사려 깊은 통찰력을 제공해 주신 모든 회원 여러분께 감사의 말씀을 드린다.” 덧붙였다.

이번 설문에 대한 간략한 결과는 다음과 같으며, 설문에 대한 보다 자세한 정보는 별첨의 설문 조사 결과지를 통해서 확인할 있다.

성별 다양성 가치 추구에의 우선순위

성별 다양성 가치 추구가 성공적인 사업 성과로 이어질 수 있다는데 응답자의 87%가 동의했다. 미국 기업에 근무하는 응답자 중 89%가 자국 기업이 기업의 핵심 가치로서 성별 다양성 촉진에 강한 의지를 보였다고 답한 반면 유럽 기업은 72%, 한국 기업은 38%에 불과했다. 이는, 한국 기업에 비해 미국 기업들이 주도적으로 다양성 및 포용성 가치 추구에 앞장서고 있다는 의미로 해석된다.

가치에 대한 소통과 현지화

다양성 및 포용성 가치에 대한 소통에 있어, 회사의 글로벌 차원에서의 노력과 현지화 노력에도 큰 차이를 보이는 것으로 나타났다. 응답자의 48%가 글로벌 프로그램이 잘 소통되고 있다는데 적극 동의한 반면, 19%만이 글로벌 프로그램이 무난히 현지화되고 있다는데 강하게 동의한다고 답했다.

개선과 공정에 대한 인식

지난 5년간 양성평등 인식의 개선 여부를 묻는 질문에 응답자의 69%가 찬성했다. 다만 개선 유형에 대해서는 남녀 응답자간 인식차가 있었다. 남성의 경우 40%, 여성의 경우 28%가 모든 직원이 승진에 있어 공정한 대우를 받는다고 느꼈고, 남성의 79%, 여성의 70%가 보상 차원에서 공정한 대우를 받는다고 느꼈다고 답했다.

개선이 필요한 영역와 여전한 장벽 

응답자의 62%는 여성이 유리천장을 무너뜨리는데 있어 가장 큰 장벽으로 한국의 문화적, 사회적 규범을 꼽았다. 절대적으로 적은 여성 리더의 숫자뿐 아니라, 유연한 업무방식의 부족도 한국에서 성 평등을 가져오는 장애물로 인식되고 있다.