• American Chamber of Commerce in Korea
  • Your Partner in Business Since 1953
close
close

Login

home> >

AMCHAM Korea

[News Article] Renault Korea's Arkana hybrid SUV gains traction for fuel efficiency

Renault Korea's Arkana hybrid SUV gains traction for fuel efficiency

By Lee Min-hyung, The Korea Times - The new Renault Arkana hybrid SUV is gaining traction from customers for its strong fuel efficiency, as most customers still remain hesitant to purchase electric vehicles (EVs) due to the country's weak charging infrastructure.

The strategic SUV from Renault Korea emerges as a major alternative for those who want fuel-efficient vehicles with reasonable prices. The new Arkana is capable of driving 17.4 kilometers per liter, powered by its E-Tech hybrid drive system. It features a 1.6-liter gasoline engine combined with two electric motors.

Customers also displayed satisfaction with the vehicle’s fuel efficiency.

I drive about 20 kilometers daily for work on the weekdays and go on a long-distance trip on the weekends, but I visit a gas station every once or twice a month with the Arkana hybrid model,” an office worker in his 30s said. “I used to fill up my previous gasoline-powered vehicle with fuel about four to five times a month, but the frequency halved after I purchased the Arkana.”

Another Arkana owner also spoke highly of the decent fuel efficiency of the vehicle.

The fuel efficiency of the vehicle sometimes rose to 25 kilometers per liter when I stayed on Jeju Island for about a month,” the owner said. “I rarely feel a sense of financial burden while driving the vehicle, as it offers such a strong fuel efficiency.

Renault Korea picked the E-Tech hybrid technology as the key driving force for the performance.

The vehicle is equipped with a 1.6-kilowatt per hour (kWh) battery, so more than 75 percent of its city drives are powered by its electric motors, according to the carmaker. The vehicle operates an EV mode during rush hour when it frequently decelerates and stops. When it picks up speed, the electric motors enable drivers to feel a sense of agility facilitated by the electric motors.

The vehicle is also price competitive. The highest trim sells for 31.02 million won ($22,660) here. Its sleek coupe design and spacious interior are also two key upsides of the vehicle.

Renault Korea equipped the vehicle with its famous diamond-shaped lozenge emblem.

The new Arkana is the best option for customers who do not have any immediate plans to purchase EVs but place a top priority on fuel efficiency,” a Renault Korea official said. “Arkana’s refined design along with Renault’s symbolic emblem added a more luxurious image to the vehicle.”

Source: https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/tech/2024/05/419_375364.html